Welcome to Life Church Norton!

Welcome to the Sermon Blog of Life Church (formerly New Testament Baptist Church). Feel free to listen to or download sermons from our Sunday morning services. Then click on the comments to dialogue about the messages so we can learn from each other throughout the week. You may also click on the envelope after each post to send the link to a friend.
*** We have recently become Grace Church and will no longer be posting new sermons on this blog. You can find all newer sermons by going directly to www.thatsgrace.org and search for messages by the Norton location. However, we will continue to maintain this site and all are still encouraged to comment. ***

Mar 14, 2010

Good Criticism?

The word "criticism" seems to bring a negative connotation most of the time. Yet if criticism is given from a pure heart and received by a teachable spirit, it can end up being a force of great goodness and blessing in our lives, both individually and as a church. This message explores the good, the bad, and the ugly truth about criticism. If we develop the wisdom described in Scripture, then God can use criticism as an instrument to actually build up His people through love and mutual service. Feel free to leave comments.
Karl

To download a copy of this sermon, right click ... and select "save target as".

2 comments:

  1. I have revisited Psalm 141:5 many times since your message. On the one hand it speaks of the humility needed to receive correction from a Godly source. On the other hand, how careful we must be to give "good criticism" from a righteous heart. After reflecting on this verse, I listen a lot more and go to my knees before giving advice or counsel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a footnote on Psalm 141:5. "Let a righteous man strike me" might also be translated "Let the Righteous One strike me." Either way it reflects a desire to submit to the correction of the Lord because of a desire to be righteous and to shun evil.

    Steven Curtis Chapman expresses in his song, "Bring it On" some of the most spiritually mature lyrics I can imagine:

    I didn’t come lookin’ for trouble
    And I don’t want to fight needlessly
    But I’m not gonna hide in a bubble
    If trouble comes for me
    I can feel my heart beating faster
    I can tell something’s coming down
    But if it’s gonna make me grow stronger then…

    Bring it on
    Let the lightning flash, let the thunder roll, let the storm winds blow
    Bring it on
    Let the trouble come, let the hard rain fall, let it make me strong
    Bring it on

    Now, maybe you’re thinkin’ I’m crazy
    And maybe I need to explain some things
    ‘Cause I know I’ve got an enemy waiting
    Who wants to bring me pain
    But what he never seems to remember
    What he means for evil God works for good
    So I will not retreat or surrender

    Now, I don’t want to sound like some hero
    ‘Cause it’s God alone that my hope is in
    But I’m not gonna run from the very things
    That would drive me closer to Him
    So bring it on

    Bring it on
    Let the lightning flash, let the thunder roll, let the storm winds blow
    Bring it on
    Let the trouble come, let it make me fall on the One who’s strong
    Bring it on
    Let the lightning flash, let the thunder roll, let the storm winds blow
    Bring it on
    Let me be made weak so I’ll know the strength of the One who’s strong
    Bring it on
    Bring it on

    ReplyDelete